But, you can save energy...
Even though you live in an apartment!
Just the little things can help!!!
See below for 8 easy, affordable ways to limit your energy output and save on your electricity bill in your apartment (or a house).
- Change your light bulbs to CFL bulbs. They are initially more expensive than incandescent bulbs, but they last 10 times longer.
- Turn off and unplug all electronics including tv, dvd player, cable box. I use a surge protector for this, that way, with the flip of a switch everything is turned off, and then I unplug the surge protector from the wall.
- Keep your lights off when you don't need them. If it's too dark during the day, open your curtains. Use sheer curtains or window film if you're worried about people looking in your apartment (I sure am).
- Keep your thermostat set at 78 in the summer and 68 in the winter. I know, it doesn't sound like a lot of sense, right, but setting the temp higher in the summer and lower in the winter decreases the electricity needed to cool or heat your home. Use fans in the summer and bundle up in the winter!!!
- Turn off you A/C when you're not inside. There's no need to have it on; most units cool apartments rather quickly.
- Use fans!! Fans circulate air and helps you feel cooler.
- Use insulating curtains or drapes. Many stores sell them. I particularly like the light blocking curtains.
- Install an energy-efficient showerhead in your showerhead to minimize hot water consumption (which minimizes the amount of electricity needed to heat more water, Ha!)
SN: Like I mentioned above, every single one of these tips work in a house, too!!! In a house, there are other, more permanent energy-saving changes that can help make a huge diference in your electricity bill, like replacing old windows for energy-efficient ones... more on that in another post!
Did you like this post? Be sure to share it on Facebook and/or Twitter. I would also LOVE for you to follow The Décor Chronicles. You'll get all the GREAT (right?) blog posts delivered directly to your inbox. I promise there won't be any spam. Just enter your email address in the box at the top left.
Till next time,